The June 9 episode of Edge of the Web Radio featured a discussion on local search optimization.
In order to optimize positioning within local search results, there are a number areas in which a local business concentrate to ensure they are found by potential customers.
- Ensure physical address is in the city (or close proximity to the city being searched)
- Verify ownership of Google + local page
- Properly categorize your business
- Solicit reviews on directory listings, especially Google + and Yelp
- Ensure address of web site matches that of Google + local page exactly
- Place business address at the foot of your web pages
- Phone number including area code of web site must match that of web site
- Site structure that follows your categorization of services needs to have local slugs in the URL and inside the page itself.
- Product, services and geographical references in anchor text of inbound links
- Links from local businesses, local groups and other organizations
Local search has undoubtedly become a major factor for businesses seeking to optimize their online marketing presence.
- 61% of smartphone users conduct local searches from their device
- 49% of tablet and mobile users search for local businesses through the use of apps
- Mentioning a location in an ad or search result can increase click through by up to 200%
How has your local strategy changed in the last year? As you develop your on-line marketing plan for the new year how do you plan to incorporate local search?